on the Establishment of the
International Scientific Cooperation Platform
ICEF – International Cooperation for earthquake FORECASTING
EISCP – Agreement on the Establishment of the International Scientific Cooperation Platform;
ICEF – International Cooperation for earthquake FORECASTING;
Station ATROPATENA – Station of Forecasting of Earthquakes ATROPATENA;
Station ATROPATENA-ID – Station ATROPATENA in Province Yogyakarta of Indonesia;
GNFE – Global Network for the Forecasting of Earthquakes;
Full member of GNFE – Owners and users of an ATROPATENA station, having access to Central Database GNFE and management of station;
Associative member of GNFE – A GNFE Participant having access to operative earthquake forecasts and to the system "Preview" of the GNFE central database;
Member of GNFE – GNFE Participant having access only to operative earthquake forecasts;
User – Participants GNFE having access only to the general scientific and technical information and news on activity of a network and the previous forecasts of earthquakes;
Owner – Owner of an ATROPATENA Station;
The user of Station ATROPATENA – the organization using an ATROPATENA station;
Owner of GNFE – the Organization possessing the right of possession of intellectual property of technology GNFE, the property of the GNFE central database and control system (SRIPSE);
General Director of GNFE – The person who controls and coordinates GNFE work, appointed by the GNFE Owner;
AOIP - The author and the owner of intellectual property of GNFE technology (Prof. Dr. Elchin Khalilov);
Control Centre of GNFE (CC) – Administrative and scientific and technical structure operating work GNFE;
Сentral DATABASE (CDB) – DATABASE of GNFE;
Regional station (RS) – Station ATROPATENA placed in concrete region;
Regional Director (RD) – The person who controls and coordinates Regional Station work;
Regional Database (RDB) of GNFE – DATABASE of an ATROPATENA regional station;
SRIPSE - Scientific Research Institute of Prognosis and Studying of Earthquakes in Baku (Azerbaijan);
1.1. The agreements have been signed by:
- President of the International Academy of Science H&E Prof. Dr. Walter Kofler (Austria, Innsbruck);
- General Director of GNFE Prof. Dr. Elchin Khalilov – General Director of Scientific Research Institute of Forecasting and Studying of Earthquakes SRIPSE (Baku, Azerbaijan).
- 2.) Notation of the program: “International Cooperation for Earthquake Forecasting (ICEF)”.
- 3.) Relevance
The catastrophic impact of earthquakes on human life and resources on this planet is undisputable and, due to the world-wide population increase, fast communication, and modern information technologies, has never before been as visible and as threatening as it is now.
In principle, two main reasons are responsible for the high number of casualties and the enormous material damages:
- Seismic instable buildings;
- Earthquake Forecasts that allow for organized evacuations and disaster management;
If the first reason in many respects is connected with social standards, the second factor depends mainly on the lack of development of effective earthquake prediction technologies.
Solving the problem of forecasting earthquakes would allow governmental and other authorities as well as the affected population to take appropriate actions in time.
The general purpose of this agreement is to establish a long-term cooperation platform between the nominated and future partners to improve mutual scientific knowledge about earthquake prediction technologies and to assist regional and national authorities in putting into practice efficient earthquake disaster management by supplying them with earthquake forecasts.
Specific objectives include:
- To produce, place and continuously operate ATROPATENA® earthquake forecasting stations (developed and created by the Scientific Research Institute of Forecasting and Studying the Earthquakes (SRIFSE) of the International Academy of Science H&E) in the countries of all participants of this program;
- To create a directly linked network of collected ATROPATENA® data anytime accessible for all participants via the internet;
- To create an international operative warning platform for possible risks of strong earthquakes;
- To improve quality and diversity of research of gravitational and other effects preceding strong earthquakes at different distances from earthquake epicenters;
- To improve quality and diversity of research of existing earthquake forecasting technologies in general and to create new technologies through collaborative studies;
- To jointly publish new cognitions and knowledge in relevant journals all over the world;
- To provide new education and research opportunities for scientists of participating institutions;
- To study geological, geophysical, meteorological, biological, cosmic and other factors which enable earthquake prediction;
5.) Agreements on implementation and terms of cooperation
- The heart of the GNFE is a network of ATROPATENA® short-term earthquake forecast stations connected to each other via a constantly online, encrypted internet-gateway (secure ftp hosted by a special server under private control at the center in Baku, Azerbaijan);
- The Control Center and base station of GNFE is the ATROPATENA® station situated in Baku at the Institute of Forecasting and Studying the Earthquakes (Republic of Azerbaijan);
- All stations are supposed to be under independent control of the participating institutions;
- All ATROPATENA® stations without fail join in a network in GNFE and are also cells of the GNFE network;
- All owners and users of ATROPATENA® stations are obliged to sign EISCP and the bilateral agreement with GNFE concerning conditions and rules of participation in the GNFE network;
- After inclusion of ATROPATENA® stations in the GNFE network, a priority of station management passes to the GNFE Control Center;
- After inclusion of a station into the GNFE network, its localization and orientation cannot be changed by the owner or the user without the permission of the GNFE General Director;
- All collected data is to be sent immediately by means of GNFE software to the central database in the USA where all data is archived;
- All participating organizations have constant and full access to this central database via the Internet;
- An Internet presence of GNFE, provided and maintained by the base station in Baku, will inform the public about the program, its goals, activities and participants. In order to avoid mass panics, which can substantially complicate actions of regional and governmental authorities, information about earthquake predictions will be given ONLY to official authorities. All data are highly confidential and no direct public information nor any information to mass media or other non-participants will be given out by any of the participating institutions and partners;
- Earthquake forecasts will be given to third parties ONLY by the GNFE base station in Baku and ONLY after prior information is communicated to all participating institutions and partners via e-mail;
- The GNFE base station in Baku will use, for ALL alerts given to third parties uniquely, a yet-to-be designed earthquake prediction template on whose text and appearance all participating institutions and partners have to agree;
- Earthquake forecasts are provided on basis of the interpretation of the collected data entering from all GNFE stations. During confirmation of earthquake predictions, the results of interpretation from all the GNFE participants are to be taken into consideration;
- Archive information about earthquake forecasts which have already taken place can be given to mass media ONLY on the basis of a written consent of the GNFE Control Center signed by General Director GNFE Prof. Elchin Khalilov;
- English is used as the common language for all communication, internet presence, publishing, etc.;
- New participating institutions and partners are explicitly welcome and can be approved by signing this agreement after a prior consent of the Board of the Program (see topic 6a) and after having signed a contract with the “Scientific Research Institute of Forecasting and Studying the Earthquakes” (SRIFSE) about the purchase and/or use of an ATROPATENA® station;
- Absolute and unique owner of the intellectual property concerning all technologies related to the ATROPATENA® stations and GNFE is the “Scientific Research Institute of Forecasting and Studying the Earthquakes” (SRIFSE);
- All participating institutions and partners running an ATROPATENA® station are absolute or partial owners of their station, independently run their station within the limits of established by the special agreement with GNFE or charter of GNFE and represent GNFE in their region.
- The Regional Director of an ATROPATENA® station is appointed the owner of the station and affirmed by the GNFE director;
- All legal and financial mutual relations between a participating institution or partner and SRIFSE are regulated on basis of bilateral contracts;
- Any additional terms of cooperation or agreements have to be mutually discussed and agreed upon in a written consent only. If it seems to be useful, such additional specifications can be matter of an appendix of this agreement.
6.) Management Structure
- The Executive organ of GNFE is the Board of the GNFE consisting of one representative to be nominated by each participating institution or partner.
- General Director of GNFE and chairman of the Board of the Program is Prof. Dr. Elchin Khalilov. He realizes all matters related to partner coordination, data collection and interpretation, methodical and scientific management and coordination, public relations, program promotion, new partner attraction, etc.
- ICSD/IAS H&E and its president Walter Kofler support ICEP, the Board of the GNFE and its General Director through their widespread organization and contacts.
- The Board of the Program (BP) makes decisions about:
- Any alteration, addition etc. of the ICEP Program;
- The statement of and changes to the GNFE charter;
- The statement of GNFE annual reports of;
- The statement of the long-term GNFE program of development;
- Substructures to be established;
- Realization of conferences, meetings and workshops;
- The GNFE General Director possesses the exclusive right of veto to the decision of Board if the decision of board can cause essential damage to GNFE safety and work efficiency.
- Decisions of the Board of the Program (BP) can be taken via e-mail or in personal meetings of the Board but only via written documents.
- All decisions of the Board of the Program (BP) are to be taken by a simple majority and must be communicated immediately to every participating institution or partner.
- Decisions of the board cannot concern the property rights and intellectual property of the owner of GNFE technology.
Contact Address of GNFE
Control Center of GNFE: Scientific Research Institute of Forecasting and Studying the Earthquakes
General Director of GNFE: Prof. Dr. Elchin Khalilov
Address of Control Center of GNFE: F. Ibrahimbeyov St. 19/21, Baku, AZ1063, Azerbaijan Republic
Tel.: /994 12/ 439-83-14
Fax: /994 12/ 438-80-65
Renewal, Termination and Amendments
This agreement takes effect from the date of signing and shall continue in force until either party notifies the other of its wish to terminate. Such notice of termination shall be given at least six months in advance of the proposed date of termination. In the event of termination, the parties agree to part with goodwill and without recrimination.
This agreement is signed by all participants of the program, and each participant of the program received one copy of the signed original of this agreement.