SCIENTIFIC PROJECT OF EU
(Starting in 2010)
Balkan, Black Sea, Caucasus, Caspian NETWORK for Complex Research of Earthquake’s Forecasting Possibilities, Seismicity and Climate Change Correlations
International Research Staff Exchange Scheme
The purpose of project BlackSeaHazNet is the development of long-term research cooperation by coordinating programs for researchers to exchange information. The experimental and theoretical partnership will create a complex research program to forecast an earthquake’s time, place (epicenter, depth), magnitude and intensity using reliable precursors. Reliable precursors include: geophysical and seismological monitoring of a region; monitoring of water sources and their Radon, Helium, and other gas concentrations; crust temperature; monitoring of the electromagnetic field under, on, and above the Earth’s surface; meteorological monitoring, including earthquake clouds, electrical charge distributions and ionosphere variations; near space monitoring, aimed to estimate Earth or Sun and Space (Cosmic Rays) origins of variations; and biological precursors.
For many variables, good global and regional monitoring already exists (for example, INTERMAGNET monitoring). For others (for example, the monitoring of Earth currents distribution), monitoring has yet to be created.
Due to the complex monitoring of real time variables, the parallel outputs of the program will consist of different time scale estimations of other natural hazards, risk assessments, and correlations between human behavior and variations in electromagnetic and other geophysical variables.
List and short names of partner organizations
01. Institute for Nuclear Research and Nuclear Energy, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, INRNE BAS, Bulgaria.
02. Institute of Geophysics, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, IGPh BAS, Bulgaria.
03. Helenic Center of Marine Reasurch, HCMR, Greece .
04. Josef Stefan Institute, JSI, Slovenia.
05. Scientific Research Centre of Slovenian Academi of Science and Arts, SAC SASA, Slovenia.
06. Institute of Geology, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, IG BAS, Bulgaria.
07. Central Laboratory of Geodezy, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, CLG BAS, Bulgaria.
08. Solar-Terrestrial influences laboratory, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, STIL BAS, Bulgaria.
09. Seismological Observatory of Makedonia, University Sts Cyril and Methodius, SORM UKIM, FYRO Makedonia.
10. TUBITAK Earth and Marine Sciences Institute, TUBITAK MAM EMSI, Turkey.
11. National Survey for Seismic Protection, Agency Emergency Management Administration, NSSP, Armenia.
12. Scientific Research Institute of Prognosis of Earthquakes, SRIPE, Azerbaijan (Control Center of GNFE).
13. Institute of Geophysics, Georgian Academy of Sciences, IG GAS, Georgia.
14. Seismic Monitoring Center of Chavchavadze State University, SMC CSU, Georgia.
15. Institute of Geophysics, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, IG NASU. Ukraine.
16. National Antarctic Scientific Centre, Ministry of Education and Science, NASC, Ukraine.
17. Odessa National Polytechnic University, ONPU, Ukraine.
18. Institute of Nuclear Research, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, INR NASU, Ukraine.